Detox Soup And Healthy Banana Bread

After a weekend of indulgence and a few days of eating leftovers, it is time to take care of our bodies. Last weekend we celebrated the 4th birthday of our daughter Teresa and we made lots, lots and lots of food. Probably too much. We made Mexican chicken tinga with chorizo, served on tostadas with sour cream, guacamole, refried beans, salsa and lettuce. We snacked on pico de gallo, onion dip, hummus with veggies and all sorts of chips, as well as a Russian salad. There was also tres leches cake and Magnolia bakery vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese strawberry frosting. OH, yes, did I mention chocolate banana bread with Kahlua?

I have been having eggs for breakfast almost every single day this week, topping it with the gorgeous leftover smoky salsa. Followed by some toast, buttered of course, and more toast with jam. Time to get back on track with oatmeal and fruit, so today I had a grapefruit, with my coconut granola, natural yogurt and pomegranate.




Finally the leftovers are gone and I was craving something clean, fresh and low in calories. I decided to make a veggie soup, from the Oh She Glows cookbook, with cumin, ginger and a hint of cinnamon- healthy, cleansing and energizing. I was out of kale but I had cabbage, and I used that instead. I would recommend using one or the other, but not the two of them at the same time. Might be too much.


Eat Your Greens Detox Soup
Oh She Glows

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups sliced mushrooms, portobella or cremini
2 cups broccoli florets
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin
1/8 teaspoons cinnamon
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cups torn kale leaves, optional
fresh lemon juice, for serving


Start with 1 onion, which you fry in a little bit of olive oil. Add three cloves of garlic, chopped. Add about two large carrots, peeled and chopped as well and about two cups of shredded cabbage. Next, add two cups of chopped mushrooms, 2 cups of broccoli florets, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the ginger, turmenic, cumin, and cinnamon and saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring to boil and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. You can stir in kale and a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving.

I served the soup with flour tortillas with avocado, roasted sweet potatoes, shredded lettuce, salsa and some yogurt on the side. You can also use coleslaw and regular or refried beans.






I also have to have bread or something baked in the house, and since I have three sad looking bananas and I am craving bread, I decided to make a banana bread. It is incredible how many bananas we consume these days at my house, we always have them around. When I was growing up I never had bananas. I remember the first time I tried a banana and the memory and the strong sweet flavour and an unknown texture I had never experienced before will stay with me forever. During communism in Poland we only were able to buy local fruit, whatever was in season. We had a large garden, with any fruit you could get, vegetables as well, so we were pretty lucky. As far as tropical fruit goes, occasionally, you were able to buy oranges, especially during Christmas time. It was always in our bags with gifts. But a banana was a treat like no others. My father had just returned from France where he was visiting our uncle. And amongst few treats (jeans, clothes, marshmallows) that he brought, were bananas. A day I will never forget.

I always get excited when I see a bunch of bananas on clearance, because I immediately have all those ideas of what to make with them. Please! Never throw out bananas. You can freeze them and make smoothies or ice cream. Add them to pancakes or waffles. And of course banana bread. The best of all. You do not even need a mixer, that`s how easy it is. 

When I make banana bread I usually use the recipe below (Smitten Kitchen), which I prepared for the party, but I decided to make a lightened up version with yogurt, agave and wholewheat flour. I am happy with the result because it looks like a real bread. It grew really nicely and it is delicious. Next time I would add maybe two more bananas, for more flavour and moisture and maybe nuts. My girls love it. We like it toasted with some butter, jam or nutella. Delicious. Here are both versions and depending what you need you can make one or the other.

Smitten Kitchen Banana Bread

3-4 bananas, mashed
1/3 cup salted, melted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon Kahlua
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 cup flour

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the bananas in a bowl with egg, vanilla, sugar, Kahlua and the melted butter. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, baking soda and the spices. Add to the wet ingredients and incorporate quickly. Place in a buttered bread pan and bake for about 50 minutes.






Today's recipe
BBC Food inspired

140 g wholewheat flour
100 g flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
3-4 bananas, mashed
4 tablespoons agave syrup
3 eggs
150 ml natural yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
chocolate chips or walnuts, optional

Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix the bananas with the syrup, eggs, yogurt, vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mix in and bake for 1 hour in 350 F oven.




Comments

  1. Julia,
    Thank you for sharing all these amazing and truly delicious recipes! We’d be happy to build a partnership with such a dedicated food blogger and get you promoted at our official FB with over 22K followers. Please visit our website to learn more about the opportunities you may get with us: http://talktochef.com/howitworks/affiliates . Feel free to contact me at kamila@talktochef.com for any additional information.
    Thank you!
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts