Writing Revisited

This blog revisited. I have been thinking for a long time about writing but there never seems to be enough time or space. Even this pandemic which made me add too many subscriptions and re-watch too many movies and shows, did nothing for me in way of being creative. At the end of the day, I did spend many hours, probably too many, in the kitchen. I picked up more skills, such as sourdough bread baking, which I can never imagine not making again, as the taste and the scent of the house, make up for all the effort and all the mistakes along the way. 

I grew tired of thinking and not doing and yearning to get out of this strange bubble, laziness of sorts, created by COVID. Probably the main inspiration came from my favourite food writer, Nigel Slater, who combines cooking and writing in my way, in a form of a diary almost and isn't this true, that food is on our minds all the time and especially these days, the comfort of food wraps around us like a protective blanket. My second inspiration came from a talk I had last night, with a wonderful smart woman I get to call my family and she told me few times I popped in her mind as someone who should be writing. Why not take all these experiences and put them in a form of a diary. Do something to be remembered for and leave my recipes in one place. Leave a little trace of me and celebrate the fact that I know how to write. Nigel decided to release his newest book on October 14th this year which also happens to be my birthday! 41! 40 was different and a bit scary but I do not feel a bit over 30. I am healthy and I think mostly because of the food choices in my diet, full of fruits and veggies and very little meat. I do not like to limit my diet or restrict certain foods as for sure, maybe I will be ok without it for few days but at some point, I will surely bounce back. I mean if we are to suffer, because of eating what we do not like, what is there left in this life? Netflix? No one can live on that, no way!

October 14th, quite the date for me to celebrate and I will surely buy the gorgeous Nigel Slater release! Cannot wait. I have also been remembering recently, how I used to spend my time when I was in high school, in my room, reading and writing down quotes in my notebooks. All I need is find my quiet space. 3 bedrooms, husband and two kids plus a dog, let's see how this one goes! A nook, a corner, anything that will be my space where no one is asking me for snacks, or anything else, just they know, not to interrupt me when I am there. Good luck to me!

Tonight's dinner then will be so easy. I always find beautiful poblano peppers at Longos and I roast them slightly on a hot pan. After I remove the skins, I cut them in long stripes. I fry a little onion with garlic, add some fresh corn kernels, cut those straight from the cob, add the peppers, some cream and Greek yogurt, salt and pepper to taste. Serve this on a bed of rice and dinner is done and ready. I also have some tomatillo salsa, frijoles and sopes (thick tortillas) so, we will layer some of the poblano mixture on top of this beautiful hot Mexican pancakes, slather it with salsa and more cream and get our faces dirty while eating, licking our fingers as Mexican food surely cannot be eating with fork and knife. Have a beautiful week! 
 

Nigel Slater - A Cook's Book




Comments

Popular Posts