Butternut Squash, Lima Bean and Kale Soup



I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, filled with friends, family, wonderful gifts and delicious food! I have been indulging way too much, and I am still indulging which means January will be a very healthy food kind of month. But I think I have an excuse as I am pregnant and I feel less guilty about all the delicious food I have been treating myself and my family with.

Our Christmas dinner consisted of Polish foods, such as cabbage rolls, bigos (sauerkraut dish with sausage, beef and pork), greek style fish, wild mushroom soup and pierogis with cabbage and sauerkraut. Lots of cookies and cakes, and way too much chocolate.

As a bit of a very much needed break from all this indulgence I decided to make this soup which is a wonderful alternative to all the rich foods you were and still will be having in the next few days. It is filling, perfect for cold days and very healthy. My two year old devoured it and my partner who usually stays away from kale loved it as well. Kale which is very good for you, but as we know, very challenging to cook with.






Butternut Squash, Lima Beans and Kale Soup



3 litres of veggie or chicken broth, homemade or store bought
1 onion, chopped
a bunch of fresh parsley
half a celery root, peeled and halved
 1 parsnip, peeled, halved
2 carrots, peeled and halved
4 sticks of celery 
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
2 cups Lima beans, cooked
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
thyme



You need to start with broth which could be either meat or veggie based. Today I made a veggie stock by frying 1 onion in some olive oil, then I added 3 liters of water, bunch of fresh parsley, 0.5 celery root, 1 peeled parsnip, 2 peeled carrots and 4 sticks of celery with leaves.

After everything is cooked and soft, remove to a plate and leave a clear broth.

Add 1 peeled and cubed butternut squash, cook until tender but not completely cooked through, season with salt and pepper,about 2 to 3 tablespoons of mustard, and thyme.

Add chopped kale, stems removed. Return cooked vegetables, chopped. Add lima beans.

Serve hot and enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts