My Mexico- Where Do I Start?

 

 


First of all, apologies to those who have not received any update for over a month now, but this Christmas was very unusual for me. Before going to Mexico, I was on my own and I took this opportunity to go out, meet with friends, shop and in general do everything I do not have time to do with my family. Some of it was less interesting and involved organizing the house. Also, I did eat out a lot and ate much less in general. I also skipped my usual holiday baking and that is why I did not post anything. I was thinking of posting something while I was in Mexico but that was impossible, we were way too busy there.


Mexico was simply amazing. I fell in love with it and I admire people who live there. I loved the climate, the warmth and the joy of having large families. Somehow here we lost track of what the most important things in life are. We keep on racing after bigger and better things very often forgetting the best things in life are often the simplest. I met a lady who had 16 kids and I was humbled by her strength.



I am fascinated by Mexico’s abundant art, folklore, colors and amazing people. It took me a little bit of time to wrap my head around this experience and to reflect on my recent trip where I met my husband’s family and friends and where our daughter had the most wonderful time. I miss the vibrancy and the warmth of it, not only weather related but the people, who welcomed me with open arms, big smiles and lots of love. I miss that place already and I wish to return there soon.


Enjoying a perfect cappuccino after a perfect day and meal in a gorgeous city- San Miguel de Allende


Have I not mentioned the food yet? If you visit a resort in Mexico and you do not venture to eat out you are losing big time. Yes, there is no guarantee you will not get a bad stomach cramp from some water or ice here and there, but it will not kill you. There is no better way to experience a country than through its authentic food. I completely fell in love with Mexican food. I have loved it before of course, but only now I realize its depth and variety- I never thought a Christmas feast would involve jalapeno and nopale stuffed roast chickens or pasta with creamy jalapeno sauce. There are so many varieties of chilies and looking at them in Mexican stores made me feel dizzy before. I stuck with jalapenos and chipotles. Now I know what to do. And the scent of chilies when you heat them up in a pan, to release all the flavors is unbelievable. You can only imagine, how different this kind of cooking is for me! Spicy was the last word that came to my mind with the food that I grew up on. And I realize that a spicy salsa, does not always mean super spicy food. 

One night we went to a nearby restaurant that specializes in Pambazos only. I was intrigued. I had understood the concept of tortas but a Kaiser bun, filled with cooked potatoes, beef and dunked into salsa only to be fried right after until is it crispy and beautiful was similar to discovering pizza with potatoes. I carefully watched the process of creating this beauty. Seasoning and cooking the meat, chopping and frying the cooked potatoes, placing it all in the bun, closing the bun, dunking it in the salsa, frying it and adding some crunch and creaminess with lettuce, queso and crema. Unbelievable.

It was also our first meal that we really enjoyed after coming back and I feel I am back on track now with my life, work and my cooking. But I am counting down the days to my next visit to Mexico!! :))))





PAMBAZOS


7 dried guajillo chilies

1 clove garlic

¼ small white onions

4 medium white potatoes- peeled, cooked and chopped

Salt to taste

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 fresh chorizo- casings removed

4 soft Kaiser rolls

1.5 cups shredded iceberg lettuce

1 cup Oaxaca cheese or mozzarella, grated

½ cup crema or sour cream


Heat a pan and toast the chillies until fragrant on both sides. Be sure not to burn them and be quick because they will burn fast.  Remove from the pan and place in a bowl and cover with boiling water, leaving to soak for about 30 min.

In the meantime, fry the sausage. Fry the chopped potatoes in a separate pan seasoning it with salt and pepper. 

Remove the chillies reserving about 1 cup of the soaking liquid, discard the seeds and stems, place in a blender, adding onion, garlic and the reserved water. Blend until smooth.

Cut the buns in half, place the sausage, then the potato mixture, close the bun, press with the palm of your hand so it stays together and submerge the whole bun in the salsa.

Place in a hot pan with a bit of canola oil and fry on both sides until it crisps and browns up. Be careful not to burn.

Open again and place some cheese and lettuce as well as crema on top, close and eat up!!!


I also happened to have some leftover coleslaw and added that to my sandwich. It was very good.






Comments

Popular Posts