Super Easy Fruit Crumble, Ikea And Rome



This past weekend was the first time I could smell the Fall coming. The days are sunny and hot but the nights are starting to get cold. This weather made me think of warm blankets, sweaters, boots, fresh air, colourful leaves on the trees, pumpkin pie, warm lattes and thick Fall magazines, with the cozy styles and the most adverstisements you could take in a whole year. I also think of candles burning at home and the smell of something delicious cooking in a slow cooker and baking in the oven. Can't you tell it is my favourite season and the season of my birthday of course.

I also found the new Ikea catalogue in mail, and we all know how deadly going there can be! Of course I could always use new blankets, curtains, tea towels, candles and more! We went there on Saturday but since Tere was a bit cranky the damage was minimal- she is big enough for a duvet , so we got that as well as some duvet sheets. She is growing so fast! The other day I took out lots of clothes, that I though were going to fit her next year and it turns out she can wear them this Fall/Winter! It will be her first winter of knowing what snow is! So exciting!

We also managed to go out on a date and see a movie-



The cast was great and I really enjoyed the acting. The movie was interesting. It definitely brought on some questions about choices we make in our lives as well as what being famous really means these days which I found was done very witty. "Woody Allen" style. Too bad the movie theater was almost empty, was it the romantic comedy, the fact that the movie is subtitled or Woody Allen, or maybe the late show? The images of Rome were stunning of course, it makes me want to go visit home and then Italy!

Every Saturday I bake something. Most days I love this recipe, but yesterday, with the new In Style, new Ikea Catalogue and few other things to catch up on I really did not feel at all like spending a lot of time in the kitchen, it had to be fast, easy and good.

I decided to make a Fruit Crumble by Donna Hay. I added a little less sugar and used peaches, blueberries, apples and yellow plums instead of regular plums. The cake turned out fluffy, moist, fruity and just gorgeously perfect for a Sunday afternoon!




Fruit Crumble
Donna Hay

185g butter, softened
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 and 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1 peach, 2 yellow plums, 1 apple, all chopped and the apple must be peeled
1 cup blueberries

Crumble Topping
1/3 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
35g cold diced butter

Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)

Place the butter with the sugar  and vanilla in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy. Sift the flour with the baking powder over the mixture, add the milk and continue mixing until it all comes together. Grease a 20cmX30cm pan and spread the dough. Place the fruit and sprinkle with crumble. Bake for  min or until tested with a skewer and it comes out clean.

Comments

Popular Posts