The Ace


Finally, it felt warmer outside last weekend and I was tempted to leave my jacket at home....Spring, next to Fall is one my favourite seasons. The only difference between Spring and Fall is that everyone is so happy in Spring because the long winter is over and in the Fall no one wants the winter to come.That makes Spring a bit better :) As soon as it gets warm, I want to put away all the winter boots, hats, jackets and take out all my summer clothes and wear everything new and colourful.




It is also the time when I venture out more, go for walks and check out new spots.

Last weekend I was lucky to get out of the house and meet my friend in my old neighbourhood. She suggested trying out a new place called the Ace. It is in the heart of Roncesvalles and just around the corner from my old apartment that I miss dearly. I loved getting my morning coffee at Cherry Bomb on my way to work and I ate too many scones there.....

I remember the window of that new restaurant. It used to be covered with a red velvet curtain, old flowers on the windowsill and it stood like that empty and deserted for the longest time. I was walking by it on the way to my friend's thinking, finally, someone revived it! And I was thrilled when my friend suggested going there for brunch.





It was a Sunday morning and the place was busy. We waited for about 15 minutes, and we got a place by the bar. We had to ask to move when we saw one table emptying and since there was no more line up it should not be a problem. But the waitress made us feel like it was an issue. 

We also waited for a long time to place our order, because when someone finally came to take it we were under the impression that we already did it, which is a definite sign that we were waiting too long.......




I ordered this beautifully looking French Toast which was good, but not amazing. I would have made it a bit more moist, meaning, soaking it for a bit longer with more vanilla and maybe orange zest. Bananas would not make it to my French toast which is rich in itself. Best French Toast is served with a mound of fresh and juicy fruit. All in all, too dry.




My friend however ordered Huevos Rancheros which were perfect.Cilantro-check, fresh salsa-check, warm corn tortillas-check, avocado is not necessary with huevos rancheros and you will not see it often in a Mexican household, but it is a nice touch. Marinated onions were really nice as well. I love onions marinated in lime juice, I am guessing that's what they were.





The decor was great. Apparently the owner kept lots of the original furniture and design which gives the place a vintage feel. The place is very small and I was not impressed with the service. We waited way too long to place the order and to get our bill. I was glad no one rushed us but a little more attention would help.

All in all worth checking out.





Comments

Popular Posts