Pain Perdu and What Might Be The Best Croissant In The City





I will start with this song today THE ONE WHO GOT AWAY KATY PERRY , and it would not normally be my selection at all, but I cannot stop hearing it in my head, and I love Diego Luna who is so amazingly handsome in this video (still wondering why my boyfriend is Mexican ;) ?)

I visited my old neighbourhood yesterday. I miss it. I miss the hustle and bustle of the city, stores and cafes within walking distance, seeing people on the street, even the homeless guy in front of my favourite grocery store and a crazy lady walking down the street. I miss my neighbour and her delicious cooking and amazing conversations and the shared wine of course :)  I spent really amazing few years of my life there and for the past year I walked these streets a lot, with Teresa in the stroller, we were both exploring the city.



There were two places there that I absolutely loved, and even if you do not live in the area, it is worth the trip, you must try it! The first one CocoaLatte, which I will write about in the future, they not only have the best coffee I have ever had but amazing food and gelato!

The second one was Pain Perdu, an amazing French Patisserie with a wide variety of sweet desserts including croissants (butter, almond and chocolate), eclairs, almond cakes and amazing lunches- quiches and an onion tart with goat cheese were my favourite. If I could I would love to eat everything there!





Last time I visited this place I tried tomato, spinach and feta quiche which was exquisite. The buttery crust with the centre of baked egg mixture was addictive. I probably should not have eaten Croque Monsieur on top of that, Swiss cheese with ham baked bread with bechamel sauce and a side of salad. Luckily my friend and I split both dishes otherwise I definitely would have eaten the full two plates!


Croissants were buttery and flaky and the floor was covered in millions of little crumbs which tells you how many people bite into a croissant there every single morning and how flakey they are. The almond croissant is covered with almond flakes and the almond paste filling melts in you mouth. The chocolate croissant is a sin almost, not only you bite into the buttery richness but it is accompanied by the decadence of chocolate.





The place is small and a little pricey but has a specific charm about it. French radio is playing in the background, French newspapers are available, instantly you feel as if you were in France. You want to linger there and listen to the relaxed and soft conversations of the regulars and hope you could speak French!

Everything I tried there was delicious and worth every penny! You should try it if you can! Take your date there for a French style breakfast- that would be romantic!

After all this buttery and chocolaty decadence I had a light dinner- grilled portobello mushrooms and yellow zucchini with a Farmers Market Lettuce and tomatoes. After all indulging once in a while tastes so much better!

Oh I forgot, I also had few pieces of dark Lindt chocolate with black currants and almond silvers and it was delicious. A little bit of dark chocolate every day will keep you healthy! But do not try the same with croissants! ;)

Comments

Popular Posts