Chili or Chilli?



Last weekend, I had the biggest craving for chili. Chili is something I have never known back home, in Poland. When I came here I was not the biggest fan of this dish but I tried a veggie version, based on Jamie Oliver's veggie chili. I added few more veggies, including eggplant which gives it a really good texture and little explosions of flavor as well as chickpeas instead of beans.



I made a large portion and froze it with cooked brown rice in individual portions. They will make great lunches now that I am back in the real world and working. I really try to take lunch to work. Not only it is saving me some serious cash but every time I have to buy lunch I am disappointed. There is always something I would or would not have added to the dish I just paid for. While when I take something from home I know exactly what is in it and it always tastes great. I can probably save around $300 this way. Think about it and what you would do with that money instead of spending it on lunches :)


Chickpea Chilli

2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, (approximately 500g)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup carrots, chopped very thinly 
1 green pepper
1 tomato
half of 1 eggplant
3 celery stocks
2 tablespoons cilantro
2X400g cans chopped tomatoes
2X400g canned chickpeas (can use beans)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chilli
2 canned jalapeƱos

Peel and chop sweet potatoes into chunks. Pour some olive oil, sprinkle with pepper, cumin and cinnamon and bake for about 40 minutes in 400F degree oven.





In the meantime fry the onion in a large pot until it softens. Add the garlic cloves, chopped carrot, green pepper and the chopped tomato and simmer everything until it is almost soft. Add the chopped eggplant next, celery, cilantro, cans of tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add chickpeas, paprika, chilli and jalapeƱos just at the end. Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.


Comments

Popular Posts