Ricotta and Poppy Seed Cheesecake



Christmas is coming and will be here in less than two weeks! Can you believe it? Somehow I do not feel it the same way this year. I am busy thinking about the move, focusing on renovations, starting to pack. There is no Christmas tree this year, because we are moving right after Christmas, just few branches will do and few Christmas cards that I hang on a string, as always.

I am on a budget this year, so I have finished my shopping a long time ago, missing the hustle and bustle among the very busy shoppers. The other day we went to Ikea, which tempted us with some Christmas food and pretty decorations. But instead I picked a porcelain sink for my new kitchen! And I brought some marzipan as well as some glogg to mix with red wine for a warming cup of wine with spices!

And it is surprisingly warm, there is no snow. I feel as if it was September and Christmas was a long time away. But it is not!

Yesterday I unpacked a parcel from my parents and I found a container with poppy seed mixture ready to use for a poppy seed cake. With some ricotta as well as cream cheese in my fridge I decided to make a cheesecake that you might have encountered only in Poland. Poppy seed is actually making you smarter, so if you an get a can of the ready mix try making this cake.

I will enjoy it while taking a break from the hustle and bustle of packing and getting ready to move.

And soon with a warm blanket and a cup of tea in my own house!






Ricotta and Poppy Seed Cheesecake

3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter
425g fresh ricotta
2x250g cream cheese
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon 
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons cream of wheat or salt free matzo meal
250g ready poppy seed cake filling (masa makowa in polish)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8 inch diameter spring form pan. Mix breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of sugar and coat the bottom of the pan.

In a food processor mix the ricotta until smooth, add the cream cheese, eggs, lemon, vanilla, sugar, sugar and the cream of wheat and process until smooth and well incorporated. 

Pour into the prepared pan reserving half of the mixture.

Add the poppy seed filling and process again. Pour on top of the pan. Swirl around with a knife to mix it up a bit with the white layer.

Bake for 65 min in the middle rack of the oven making sure the knife comes out clean.

Make sure the cheesecake cools down and it is the best to leave it overnight in a fridge. Hide it from your family and it will taste so much better the next day.




Song today: Cafe Tacvba Eres

Comments

  1. Really DeliciouZ is really delicious in real life. I look forward to everything she creates. I especially look forward to the ricotta cheesecake I will be enjoying at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Chrissie! I am now inspired to create some yummy things...... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts