Christmas Stollen




Christmas is going to be here very soon and I feel that I have started baking too late this season! I definitely have less time this year and instead of baking anytime I need to stay up late and experiment at nights, which is difficult knowing that you will wake up several times that night.






But with holiday baking I somehow get this extra punch of energy and want to bake and bake and bake. I love how the house smells when you bake. And the best part of it all is sharing it with the loved ones and friends.





Today I have made stollen which is a German Christmas bread. You can make this bread few weeks in advance as it will keep fresh wrapped in some foil and paper. It is amazing for breakfast, dipped in a cup of coffee. Maybe as you are opening presents on the Christmas morning.

There is something exciting about all the rush and preparation before Christmas. I love to plan my baking, cooking and presents well in advance to avoid the stress and to focus on the beauty of the season.

Every year it seems to become easier as I have started creating similar menus and I have my favourite recipes that I always prepare for Christmas. I am Polish so the most important day for us is Christmas Eve. I usually make bigos (sauerkraut with cabbage, mushrooms and lots of different kinds of meats), sauerkraut and mushroom pierogi, barszcz (red beet soup), haddock with vegetables (my mom's recipe) and herring in a creamy sauce with onions and cooked potatoes.

As far as the baking goes, I usually make different cookies- gingerbread, biscotti, espresso snowcaps, shortbread. This year I will try making nanaimo bars which are very Canadian.

On Christmas day we indulge in a festive breakfast of sweets and quiche. Later on leftovers as well as something Mexican (because my partner is from Mexico) All in all it is a very eclectic cuisine.

For now, here is the recipe for Stollen.




German Christmas Stollen


100 g flour
175 ml warm milk
3 and 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast or 45g fresh

For the cake base:

400 g flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
90 g sugar
1 egg
150 g unsalted butter
75 ml milk
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind

Dried fruit for the cake:

200 g mixed dried raisins, cherries, cranberries.
75 ml dark rum
40 g almonds, chopped
50 g fruitcake fruit


In a small bowl dissolve the flour with warm milk and the yeast. Let stand in a warm place until it doubles in size for about 30 minutes.

In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients with the yeast mixture, add one egg and the milk with the butter. Add the lemon zest at the end and work with the dough until it is shiny and springy. Set aside for about 1 hour, it should double in size.

Take out the dough, place on a floured surface and add the dried fruit. Work with your hands until the fruit is distributed evenly. Divide in two and shape long logs. Place it on a baking sheet or in a tin (one you would use to make bread)

Bake for 30-40 min in 369F (180C)

After taking it out of the oven brush with some melted butter and sprinkle with enough icing sugar that it covers the whole bread including the bottom.

Make sure it cools down and if you wrap it tightly in some foil it will last few weeks.




I love to wrap it in decorative paper or simple brown paper and it makes a wonderful gift!






I also found out today that my grandfather back home, in Poland died. It a sad day indeed. And Christmas will be different this year.

I want to dedicate this song to him:



Comments

  1. Sorry for your family's loss. :(

    The wrapping is so delicate and lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts