Warm Fig Pudding With Lots Of Love



I am in love, really and truly, can't deny it. I tried many of them and with this one everything I try turns out just amazing.

My newfound love is Canadian and from Montreal. He is also battling for the title of a new Iron Chef with some big names out there, I am keeping my fingers crossed! I hope to meet him in person and dine in his restaurant one day. His name is Chuck Hughes and if you have not heard about him, you will.

Everytime I watch his show, I want to cook everything. It is impossible of course. Yet, he makes everything look so effortless and fast and easy. Oh, I wish I had sous chefs of my own. For the time being, it is a set of fancy sharp knives- working on everything else.

This dessert I could not say no too. Even though the preparation seems lenghty, it is not really. And it is worth the work. The boiling figs with some cinnamon sticks will make your house smell wonderful. Baking will make it smell even better :) Oh my God, that is exactly what I said when I bit into this soft, warm pudding cake with toffee sauce hugging the warm cake and melting the cold ice cream. Mhmmmm......yes, I am in love.



Fig Cake


20 dried figs
4 cinnamon sticks
2 cups water
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour- all purpose
2 teaspoons baking soda


Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.

In a saucepan place the figs with the cinnamon sticks and water. Cook on medium heat for about 15min, until the water has evaporated and the figs are plump. Discard the sticks and set aside.

In a food processor beat the butter with sugar and add eggs, one at a time. Add the figs and puree. Add vanilla, dry ingredients and process until well incorporated. Pour into a 18/28 cm baking dish and bake for about 50/60 minutes.


Toffee Sauce

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla


In a medium saucepan melt the butter, add the brown sugar and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the heavy cream, bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and and stir until it starts to thicken, about 8-10 minutes. Keep warm.

With a fork poke some holes on the cake, pour half of the toffee sauce on it and return to the oven, bake for another 5 min.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and some of the warm sauce poured over it.





And to continue with the love theme one if the most beautiful songs ever:

Wild Horses

Cover by Alicia Keys with Adam Levine

Comments

  1. I love Chuck Hughes!!! He is such a good chef and so cute. I want to meet him too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad he will not be the next iron chef :( but on the other hand it will save me some time, I would watch it every night....I am totally addicted to Chuck :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts