Smoked Salmon Pasta


This past weekend was very busy but very nice. Saturday morning I did a little shopping at Ikea, I actually went to return a blind but you cannot leave Ikea without having something to eat, taking a peek at As Is, buying something and leaving with something unnecessary such as gooseberry jam, feeling so happy because you also just had a $1 hot-dog AND ice cream combo ;) Anyways, going there always makes me happy. I always imagine my future house with the biggest kitchen in the world, where I can look at the forest or maybe a lake while I am doing the dishes, where I finally have a dishwasher, a double oven, a huge table with at least 6 chairs, lots of storage, cool appliances and a pantry of course, were I keep all my spices and ingredients in jars and cute containers. Then I imagine a bedroom with a walk- in closet and a living room with a fire place where once in w while I can read a book in peace (so impossible now) As you can see kitchen is definitely my most important place in my house and now it is the smallest area in my apartment. I cannot call it a room even because it is literally an area. Thank God I have high ceilings because I can keep lots of items on top of he cupboards. Anyways it always makes me happy and I hope that very soon I will have at least few of those little dreams....
Sunday I had a friend over for brunch with her partner. It seemed so ideal because Tere fell asleep just before they came and she slept for almost 3 hours (it hardly ever happens!) which allowed us to have a grown up conversation....I need more of those! ;) I prepared a mushroom and cheese as well as salmon and cream cheese quiche, arugula salad and a cinnamon coffee cake.

Later on we went over for dinner to a Spanish couple and we dined on a version of a Spanish Paella but made with pasta instead of rice. Very popular in Valencia. It was divine! I have to learn how to make it. This time adult conversation was sort of a challenge with Tere awake and a 3 year old awake with her :)
Today I needed to figure out what to do with my left over smoked salmon and cream cheese- I had it for lunch on a piece of toast but I still had more leftovers. With a little bit of cream and lemon I made it into Smoked Salmon Pasta and it was delicious!


Smoked Salmon Pasta

250 g Spaghetti or other pasta
0.5 cup cream
100 g plain cream cheese
a quarter of an onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
some olive oil
dill or parsley
1 tomato
1/3 white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
150g smoked salmon

Boil pasta in salty water until al dente. Reserve 1/3rd cup of the cooking water.
In a skillet fry minced onion with garlic, lower the heat to medium and add white wine. Cook for few minutes and add cream with the cream cheese. Add chopped tomato, pepper, lemon juice and fresh dill or parsley. Cook until it thickens.
Pour the sauce over the cooked and still warm pasta, add some of the cooking water if it appears too dry, add the chopped salmon and serve with a lemon wedge and fresh arugula.
You could actually add the arugula to your pasta, it is really good. Also roasted pine nuts would elevate this dish a bit.
Enjoy it with some white wine.....it is necessary here really, you just need to stop at your local wine store if you do not have it handy at home. But you always should have wine at home ;)
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts