Farmer's Market Inspired Feast (Wychwood Barn Market)



This was one of those perfect dinners where everything tastes great and it all seems to go together exceptionally well. It was also a good summer dinner, with very little preparation (except for the cakes)

Last Saturday I ventured out to the local farmer's market with amazing local produce which is hard to find somewhere else such as blackcurrants for example. I remember taking those for granted when I was a child. They grew everywhere in my garden and I hardly ever ate them.

There were plenty of seasonal berries, local meats and breads at this farmer's market. I decided to buy some young potatoes, because I have been craving those for a while but for some reason have not seen them anywhere. I boiled those and sprinkled with salt and pepper, melted a bit of butter over them and added some fresh dill. This was a feast in itself. The taste was sweet and tender, not similar at all to my regular store bought potatoes.

Alongside I served a fresh salad made with lettuce bought at the Farmer's Market as well. It took a while longer to wash the lettuce, but the more sand the more organic it is! Crunchy, sweet, juicy! Again, amazing flavour! I could just eat it by itself but instead added some local cucumbers and tomatoes, with some lemon juice, walnut oil, salt and pepper and I was in heaven!

Roasted Chicken (store bought- booo- but it is too hot to turn my oven on) accompanied those sides, but really, it seemed like a side next to these beautiful ingredients.

And the zucchini cakes rounded up the whole palette of fresh flavours at this feast. They just melted in my mouth and I ate three but believe me I could have have eaten way more....it was a great late night snack ;)

For dessert we had vanilla ice cream with some crumbled pistacho halva. What an exciting discovery because these two seem to go together exceptionally well. I will definitely have that again.

FETA AND DILL ZUCCHINI CAKES

3 zucchinis
4 green onions
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons of flour
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 egg
a bunch of chopped dill
100 g (small container) of feta

Grate zucchinis and sprinkle with salt, leave for few minutes. In the meantime chop the onions and fry those with minced garlic until they start to soften. Add your zucchini (make sure to squeeze the water out of them, just using your hands), fry for maybe 5 minutes until soft. Add flour and egg(beaten), gently mix in. Add dill and crumbled feta and season to taste.

In another skillet (nonstick) heat some olive oil and form small cakes (1 tablespoon for each will suffice) fry on both sides until they turn golden and crunchy.

ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts