Mushroom and Spinach Cannelloni










Today I am craving pasta and tomato sauce. I am bored with my regular pasta dishes so I decide to prepare Cannelloni based on a recipe from my favourite blog - White Plate. I have not prepared Cannelloni and I have some mushrooms and fresh spinach in my fridge so why not try it. The result is creamy and cheesy pasta that will satisfy your taste buds anytime. The only lengthy activity is filling the pasta but it does not have to look perfect so do not spend too much time on it.





Mushroom and Spinach Cannelloni




For Cannelloni




1 box of Cannelloni (approximately 250g)
2 containers of Ricotta Cheese (300g each)
250 g mushrooms (sliced)
1 bunch of fresh spinach (around 400g)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
A pinch of nutmeg
1 mozzarella grated (250g)



For the Tomato Sauce





1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (800 ml)
3 cloves of garlic
Salt, pepper and oregano to taste
1 teaspoon of honey


SAUCE




For the tomato sauce fry the garlic with some olive oil, add chopped tomatoes but remember to blend them until smooth beforehand. Cook for a few minutes before adding salt, pepper and oregano to your taste. Add some honey to the sauce (my secret ingredient) Brown sugar will work as well.

FILLING


In a separate pan fry mushrooms with olive oil until they caramelize and water evaporates. Add chopped garlic and spinach leaves. They will wilt in a few minutes so make sure not to overcook. Add Ricotta to the mixture and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg.
I prefer to precook my pasta beforehand, otherwise if there is a part of it not covered by the tomato sauce it will be hard and not cook too well. Boil for several minutes just until soft but not cooked through.





Fill cannelloni with the filling.


Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a heatproof dish and place your pasta, cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. At this moment you can keep it in the fridge until ready to bake so you can serve it hot and bubbly, with the cheese melted. Otherwise it will be crusty.
Bake for about 35 min in 380 °F




Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts