Fresh Tomato Salsa

Making my own salsa sauce sounded like mystery to me just a few months ago. If I happened to eat it, let’s face it, it would be made by my partner and I considered it his territory thinking that a Polish person yes, can cook Italian, French and anything but not Mexican.


Now, my first homemade salsa surprised my partner, who raised his eyebrows trying it and here I was waiting for a verdict from a real Mexican, how does a Mexican salsa tastes when prepared by a Polish girl living in Canada? Well, apparently, it tastes Mexican.
I made one large jar which was consumed in two days.



Here is what you need for it:

3 tomatoes
1 clove of garlic (peeled of course)
1 quarter of a large Spanish onion
Bunch of cilantro ( about two handfuls, leaves only)
Juice from a half of lime
Jalapeno

(I used 1 quarter because it was very spicy, all jalapenos are not created equal, some are more spicy than others, so start with a little bit and add more if necessary. Remember to remove the seeds and white strings from the inside and never try it with your tongue, as well as do not touch your eyes after handling a jalapeno unless you are looking for extra excitement in your kitchen) I have done both ;)

Before putting everything in a blender cook tomatoes with jalapeno in a pot, just bring it to boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Place in a blender with remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper. (no need to remove the skin from the tomato)

You can serve it the way it is, especially in the summer. On cooler days I prefer to cook it a bit for a thicker consistency, the longer it cooks the thicker it will be, so really the amount of time to cook here is up to you.

Enjoy it with anything; I love it with plain tortilla chips or just with my tomato rice for a light and refreshing lunch or dinner.

Here I served it with my tomato rice, quesadillas (just flour tortillas with shredded mozzarella, pepper and green onions inside cooked on a non-stick pan, no oil necessary) and guacamole (2 avocadoes, 1 handful of finely chopped cilantro leaves, juice of half a lime, salt, little bit of jalapeno)




Eat while listening to this :


Limon y Sal by Julieta Venegas or Suenos with Diego Torres

Comments

Popular Posts