Morning Oatmeal And Other Bubbles and Squeaks








The best way to start January mornings is with a steaming bowl of oatmeal. I love steel cut. Many people do not like it as it takes forever to cook it, however with just a simple little trick of soaking it overnight you can easily cook it in under 10 minutes. 

Simply place one cup of oatmeal in a medium sized pot with 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Cover with a lid and leave overnight. I usually like to prepare this on a Sunday night, cook it up on Monday and I have breakfast for most of the week. In the morning bring to boil and cook, stirring frequently until the water cooks of. 

Serve with a little bit of milk or yogurt, maple syrup, honey or agave syrup, cinnamon and some nuts or dried fruit. My favourite are dried cherries and roasted almond flakes. Nothing makes a morning better and more comforting especially when it is cold outside. Keep the leftover oatmeal in the fridge and heat it up in the microwave with a splash of milk in the morning. Add whatever you fancy.






After such breakfast I am usually very full until lunch time, when I might have a salad with beans, eggs or some soup. Around 3 is the snack time, and I usually have a coffee with some dark chocolate, a cookie or granola squares. I try to keep snacks around that are healthy such as carrot sticks, hummus, roasted chickpeas, citrus fruits and nuts. Otherwise I will be very hungry.

Just yesterday I came up with an idea to use up my leftover coconut milk. I prepared braised cabbage. 

Just fry a little bit of onion in some olive oil, add shredded white cabbage, a pinch of salt and pepper and just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add a splash of white vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Pour some coconut milk and cover, lower the heat to medium and braise for about 1 hour until tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning. To me this is a meal just in itself. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts