Red Currant Tart For the Summer Weekend

“Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color.” 

William Stanely Merwin


I have been thinking recently quite a bit about the complicated history of my country (Poland) and how lucky we are to have so much food on our plates these days. I have been watching and interesting TV show about an underground movement in Warsaw during the Second World War. It is a show that does not leave you with a light heart but it definitely makes you appreciate what you have and what other people went through or are still going through during war. 

Living in a foreign country definitely makes me feel nostalgic about my home country. No matter how far we travel we will always have it in our hearts. The tart that I made makes me think of Poland and Canada because both of them have the same colors in their flags- red and white. And just like these berries in the tart my heart belongs to both now- even though Poland will always be part of my true identity.

Is is interesting to look at your country with a different set of eyes. I still remember the first time I read a book titled “The Heart Of Europe” written by an Englishman- Norman Davies. I could not believe how much I had not known, or rather how much I was taught from one perspective- Polish meant:betrayed, wounded, suffering, the blood of all nations, painful and complicated, even confusing. We did, in fact, were responsible for suffering of other nations, and we were not so perfect and a victim only in my eyes. After moving out of Poland and living in Canada, I definitely saw the difference. Difference in education, which I am grateful for, because I learnt so much more in elementary and high school than students learn here. However I definitely noticed a difference of greater value it might seem, the outlook on life here. People are definitely more positive, the do not have the baggage of depressing poetry, novels and movies which we all were exposed to in Poland. At some point I realized that maybe my slightly negative outlook on many things might be an outcome of my culture and not based solely on personality.

However, I am very grateful for that experience. No matter how hard being far from my home seems sometimes, it shaped the person I am now and the person I am becoming.

Going back to the tart.....


Berries. Red currants. Have you ever tasted them? They are a bit sour. I remember my grandmother used to squish them with a fork adding sugar. Or my mother who would make smoothies with kefir, or throw them in a cake. I love that sour taste. It is definitely the season for them and I usually love to make a sweet tart with those in the summer. A summer treat that you wait for. 








Pastry


For the pâte sucrée (makes enough for 12 mini or 1 large tart)

1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large egg yolks
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
A pinch of sea salt
8 ounces unsalted butter, cut into pieces




For the filling



400 g red currants
2 eggs
4-5 tbsp brown sugar
100 ml heavy cream

a bit of icing sugar for dusting


For the pâte sucrée peparation

1. Whisk the cream and the eggs together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a bowl or food processor, combine the flour, sugar, butter and salt.  Using your fingers or food processor, incorporate the butter until you have a coarse meal.
4. Gradually add the cream and yolks, and mix until just combined.  Be careful not to overwork the dough.
5. Bring the dough together with your hands to incorporate completely. Wrap in plastic and place it in the fridge for at least one hour.
To prepare the tart

Position a rack in the center of the oven.
Place the chilled pâte sucrée on a floured surface, and sprinkle with more flour.
Roll it into a circle larger enough than the tart pan, flouring as needed.
Press the dough into the pan, being careful not to stretch it as this will cause it to shrink when baking.
Work your way around the edge pinching the excess dough off with your fingers.
Chill in the fridge for 1 hour, or the freezer for 10 minutes before baking
After taking it out of the fridge place on a cookie sheet so it will be easy to remove from the oven. Line the tart with aluminium foil and dried beans or pie weights. Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes or until you see it browning slightly. Make sure it is golden not brown. Lower the temperature to 355 degrees F.

Filling

Remove red currants from the stems, wash them and dry. Arrange berries on the baked dough. Combine eggs with cream and sugar, mix until it thickens and pour over the berries.
 Bake at 180°C (355°F) in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. 

Dust with icing sugar and enjoy still warm or the next day!







Below a version with currants, raspberries and pecans.





Comments

Popular Posts