Perfect Potato Mash and Recent LIKES

All day yesterday I was craving some mashed potatoes. Maybe it is the cooler weather, maybe the abundance of Mexican food, curry and some Chinese takeout along the way or maybe I was just craving some comfort food, and that is exactly what creamy mashed potatoes are.

I ended up cooking up some peeled potatoes, with a bit of salt. After draining those, I put a piece of butter in it, lots of milk, a bit of pepper, grated parmesan and caramelized onions with garlic. Do not be afraid to add lots of milk, because it will make the potatoes fluffy and creamy. Make sure to give it a good mash, to make it super creamy and smooth. We had some leftover steaks with a light tomato-jalapeno gravy and I made beans with lemon and a touch of maple syrup. I also made ground chicken meatballs with bacon, chorizo and fresh basil, lots of onion and garlic of course. It was divine! And it definitely made me feel very good. Especially the potatoes, they are definitely my best. You can add any cheese to them, I thought blue cheese would be interesting as well. Herbs such as dill or chives or even horseradish for a bit of a kick. Really, how much of everything you add is your choice. It depends on the size and type of the potatoes so add along, taste and modify.




Happily I had some of those leftovers for lunch today, which means- a very light dinner will follow.

These are some things that have inspired me recently or I found interesting, including some fashion finds.

1. Have been reading Nigel Slater’s “Toast” and “Appetite” The first one is his biography. I love the way he remembers his life back through food. It is pretty amazing how important food is. I love cooking and I cannot imagine feeding my family frozen meals or take-out all the time if you can whip up anything from nothing at all. You just open your fridge and let your imagination do the work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Appetite-Nigel-Slater/dp/1841154709/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349145298&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Toast-Nigel-Slater/dp/1592400906/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349147326&sr=1-3-fkmr0


2. Shawls – the ones that look like turtlenecks, I love them because you put it on like a sweater and do not have to worry about the wind blowing it away and the cold air pinching your neck.

3. Brie and fig on toast was my favourite breakfast recently. Just slice few pieces of brie and put it on a toasted, still warm bread. Cover with sliced figs. Divine….

4. HM new Fall collection- I am not sure If it is me only but I want to buy everything in there these days. Colourful Fall tights, warms sweaters, coats, gloves and corduroy pants. The problem is I no longer need clothes for myself only and I usually end up buying lots of stuff for Teresa, I cannot help it, girl clothes are too cute, and not buying too much for myself!

5. As soon as the Fall is here I always love watching this movie-You’ve got mail. It makes me want to go to any bookstore, wearing comfy pants, boots and turtleneck and spend my time browsing through stuff drinking pumpkin spiced latte and planning for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.ca/Youve-Got-Mail-Blu-ray/dp/B0046BHC6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1349147433&sr=1-1

6. Anything with pumpkin or squash- curries, soups, pies, coffees, candles! There is nothing better than cozying up on your couch with a blanket while drinking something warm, reading or watching something and the candle is burning or the pie is baking in the oven!


7. World's Best Father-hilarious
http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/photos/world-best-father-photographer-pokes-slideshow/-photo-2512377-172000788.html;_ylt=AtUNEc_N9FBjbWsVlzCObB2A.MF_;_ylu=X3oDMTQ2b200N204BG1pdANTbGlkZXNob3cgQ2Fyb3VzZWwgRXhwZXJpZW5jZQRwa2cDNjQ2NDI1NDgtNjE5Ny0zMzMyLTgyNjgtYjVjODJjZjg0ODE4BHBvcwMzBHNlYwNtYWluX2ltZwR2ZXIDYmUxOThmOTAtMDdmZS0xMWUyLWIzZGItMWVlM2QwNWZkN2I4;_ylg=X3oDMTJ0c2Fxcm9uBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDMjcyYTcxMjItN2JiZi0zN2Y2LTliNGItZDI2OTU3MzU2NDI4BHBzdGNhdANwYXJlbnRpbmcEcHQDc3MtZ2FsbGVyeQ--;_ylv=3

8. Camino Hot Chocolate With Chilli- divine hot chocolate with a bit of a kick

9. Coldplay with Rihanna- I am really liking this song

10. La Petite Robe Noire- new scent I need to get for my birthday :)




Comments

Popular Posts