Plenty And Soba Noodle Salad






Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi is a new discovery and much needed inspiration in my cooking. As probably many of you I like to eat lighter in the springtime, and I like my meals to be fresh, crunchy, healthy, but also warm, filling and exciting at the same time. How often can you eat the same green salad, snack on baby carrots or veggies with hummus? I am also getting tired of eating too much meat and looking for some healthy alternatives.


This book goes beyond vegetables as a side dish, and and the fact that it is written by a person who is not a vegetarian seems to be almost wrong. But it is not. It is perfect. Even the person who recommended it to me is not a vegetarian, I would say far from being one but definitely loves to cook from this book.


I was able to make one dish from it, even though it was a bit labour intensive for a salad, but the end result was satisfying and amazingly delicious.


I am putting this book on my wish list along with other items- Kobo, new phone, new purse (one that will last me while which equals expensive  :( hence the wish list), summer clothes and yoga classes. Did I mention a new hairstyle?


On a different note I am also happy to hear that I have some followers, I decided to start this blog more as a diary to mysef, a way of keeping all the recipes in one place. Before I would cook something once and forget all about it. Sometimes I remembered it but could not think where I had the recipe from. Now I can easily find it here. Sometimes I feel as if it was just my notebook, but I am very happy I can share it with you and give you some inspiration. Finally- the recipe:



Spicy Soba Noodle Salad with Mango
(serves 6)

1/2 cup rice vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 fresh red chile, crushed
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 cup sunflower oil
2 eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch dice
8-9 oz soba noodles
1 large ripe mango, cut into strips
1 2/3 cup basil leaves, chopped
2 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly




In a small saucepan warm the vinegar, sugar and salt until it dissolves. Remove from the heat and add garlic, chile and sesame oil. Add zest and lime juice.


Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan and fry the eggplant. Once golden brown remove to the colander, sprinkle with salt and let it drain.


Cook the soba noodles in lots of salty water. They will take about 8 minutes or so. Drain and rinse under cold water.


In a mixing bowl toss the noodles with the dressing, mango, eggplant, half of the herbs and the onion. Put aside for 2-3 hours. When ready to serve add the rest of the herbs, toss and serve. You can also sprinkle with some sesame seeds and a slice of lime on the side.


Note, this portion is really big. If you are cooking for two, even 4, I would cut it in half. If you do not have red chile, use hot pepper flakes, they will work just fine. But you need the fresh herbs, do not substitute for dried in any case, never if possible ;)



I quite enjoy this song: Reni Jusis 






Have a great weekend and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts