Whole Grain Pancakes


I woke up realizing that most stores are closed today. Hmmm, that leaves me with two eggs in the fridge, some fruit, and yogurt. Eggs for breakfast are out of the question. My smoked salmon and asparagus quiche will have to wait until Sunday Easter Brunch, as well as my Mascarpone Lemon and Orange cheesecake, yum!



I am happy that I stopped at Loblaws yesterday after meeting a friend for lunch at SWAN, a great little place right by the Trinity Bellwoods. We had a tasty Deep Fried Oyster Sandwich with Aioli and a Smoked Salmon Salad which we thought was supposed to be Arctic Char. Oh, well, it was delicious anyways and the coffee was extraordinary. And I learnt what  Arctic Char was :)

Speaking of coffee, yes, I managed to pick up some freshly ground last night and what can be better the the sharp aroma of freshly ground coffee brewing in your morning kitchen filled with sun and the first day of a long weekend.... :)

A little bit of web browsing, such as this page Styleseekingzurich, make it a good start to my day.



Now, equipped with a cup of coffee and some morning silence, I am ready to make pancakes.

I glimpsed at the Food Network and chef Michael Smith was cooking up some healthy pancakes, which seemed like an excellent idea, considering we have a weekend of over indulging ahead of us. They were fast to prepare and tasty. And because of the "healthy content" your kids can have as many of them as they want. And you, of course, as well. Did I mention the butter and the maple syrup? ;)




WHOLE GRAIN PANCAKES

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of freshly ground nutmeg or cinnamon
1.5 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons honey
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


 Mix the oats and the flours in one bowl. Add the salt and nutmeg, as well as baking powder.

In a separate bowl beat the eggs, add the milk, vanilla, honey and the oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, incorporate. Heat the pan, melt some butter, or oil, drop the batter in small batches and fry until the top starts to bubble. Turn and cook on the other side. Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.  

I find they cook best when the heat is on medium, first heat your pan on high and then lower. Be careful because they can burn fast.



ENJOY!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts