Memories Of Summer On A Rainy Winter Day


Nothing soothes better than mint and lemon. The other day, when I was trying to do too many things at the same time, my neighbour invited me over for dinner and after dinner she served this wonderful lemon pound cake, which made me feel so much better and gave me energy to do more work.

I have been super busy with the move, my partner working at the new house, and me at the old apartment trying to pack with a walking 10 month old following every step I made. It was quite a challenging several weeks. I still have not fully recovered from all this work. You really appreciate help of your friends at times like these and a meal Katherine cooked for us was more than we could ask for. It was wonderful. I really want to bake this pound cake but I did not really have time to cook a lot nor take pictures of my food in order to post them here. And believe me I cooked very little. But now even though I still have some unpacking to do, I feel more settled in our house and I am falling in love with my beautiful new kitchen. And yes, everything I need to cook is now unpacked!

Here is a recipe for a cake I made in the summer, which slightly resembles the cake my friend made. It is served with simple syrup with mint, which you can use to make lemonade or pour it over vanilla ice cream. You can serve it still warm, with the syrup that will melt into the cake and you will fall in love with every bite you take. Also, you will forget about this ugly day outside. Grab some tea, a good movie and this cake and you have a perfect evening!






Lemon Mint Cake
(giada de laurentis)

Syrup:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Cake:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 mint sprigs
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup all-purpose flour


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.

For the syrup

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, lemon juice, and lemon zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, Remove from the heat and set aside.  

For the cake

In a large bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until the mixture holds stiff peaks. In a separate large bowl, beat the vegetable oil, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time. Add the chopped mint (just leaves), lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Set aside.

Slowly add 1/2 of the egg white mixture into the oil mixture. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in the remaining egg white mixture. Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 

To serve drizzle with the syrup and sprinkle with some fresh mint.

ENJOY!

Summery song:


Comments

Popular Posts