My Family's Favourite Gingerbread Cookies






It has only been three years since I started making my own gingerbread cookies and I still remember how frustrated I was making them for the first time. I used all the necessary ingredients and somehow I ended up with this crazy amount of something hardly resembling cookie dough, sticking to my hands and I had no idea how to make it better. I had to make an emergency call to Poland for some family advice. And it worked out. Since then I cannot imagine Christmas without baking gingerbread cookies. The smell when they are in the oven says Christmas. And it brings me back home, and all the other Christmas flavours, and memories.
Gingerbread cookies are amazing to make way in advance. Even two months before if you wish. They store well in airtight containers. You can decorate them if you wish with simple sugar icing, or dip in chocolate and sprinkle with almonds or walnuts.

This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember and it is delicious!






Gingerbread Cookies


1 kg flour
400 g sugar
400 g honey
5 eggs
150 g butter
1.5 packet of gingerbread spice 
70 g cocoa
1. 5 teaspoon ammonia 
2 teaspoons soda
1.5 teaspoon strong coffee


Place the butter and honey in a pot on a stove and melt. In a bowl mix the flour, gingerbread spice, cocoa, ammonia and soda. In a large mixer place the eggs with sugar and beat until blended. Add the coffee and slowly start adding the flour mixture until blended. Add more flour if the dough seems sticky. You will also need some flour for rolling out the dough. Once rolled out cut out the desired cookie shapes. Place on a buttered cookie sheet.

Bake in 350 F for 10 minutes.



Comments

Popular Posts