Spicy Bean, Cabbage and Sausage Soup





It seems that days of eating anything anytime are over. Apparently you can keep on eating for two even after you have had your baby, but only if you are breastfeeding. Well, this whole summer I had ice cream and chocolate every single day.....and I thought this could carry one forever....... wouldn't it be great if our bodies and stomachs were separated, we could eat whatever we feel like and nothing would ever bother us at all. Even going out for Indian buffet at lunch would not make you want to sleep all afternoon instead of being super productive.....

Well most of us needs to eat moderately. I believe in eating everything but is small amounts. I usually have 5 smaller meals in a day and snacks in between. I could eat constantly if someone let me, and cook constantly as a matter of fact. But after days of indulgence I always have to have days of diet, or I should rather say listening to my body..... If my body craves chocolate I will have it but I will not eat a whole bar, just few pieces, and I try to satisfy this craving with dark chocolate.......

Today, as I was coming back from a walk I could feel winter coming, creeping upon us, because we all know at this point it is just lurking around the corner. I came home and had a cold sandwich for lunch- oh whaat a mistake that waas. I never want a cold sandwich on a cold day again.

Soup, hot and spicy soup is all I need. Lots of vegetables and something substantial so I am not starving an hour later, how about turkey sausage? I had some cabbage, and some sausage, why not throw it all into a soup? With some hot pepper flakes?




Spicy Cabbage, Bean and Sausage Soup


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
3 carrots
3 celery stalks plus some leaves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 sausages (I used turkey)
3 litres chicken stock
1 can mixed beans, rinsed
1/4 white cabbage, shredded
1/2 can chopped tomatoes
some cilantro with stalks
salt to taste

Some cheddar and baguette for serving




In a large pot fry 1 chopped onion and 3 garlic cloves, add 3 chopped carrots and 3 chopped celery stalks, dash of red pepper flakes and 2 turkey sausages, sliced. After 4 minutes or so add 3 litres chicken stock, half a can chopped tomatoes, 1/4 of the shredded cabbage, few cilantro stalks, leaves of the celery, some thyme and cook until the veggies are almost soft. Add the rinsed beans just at the end.



I served it with some bread, I used wholewheat but a baguette would be perfect and a little bit of shredded cheese. Fresh cilantro if you wish. Or fresh lime would go nicely with it as well.

For dessert I made some crepes with melted milka (milk chocolate), bananas and pecans. It was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

A song today is to warm everyone up:

Buena Vista Social Club CANDELA


Comments

Popular Posts