Julia's Famous Buttermilk Pancakes



These pancakes have been my favourite for a long time. I remember the first time I made them. I went overboard and served them with whipped cream and maple syrup and they were just amazing with this combination. Blueberries inside were a nice touch as well. Later on I experimented with chocolate chips and toasted crushed pecans and that was a hit as well. But my favourite is just a plain pancake with maple syrup and a side of fresh fruit and vanilla yogurt.

It is very important to use buttermilk in this recipe because this is what makes them fluffy. Also when you mix the dough makes sure not to overmix it and after heating the pan lower the temperature to medium, otherwise the pancakes will burn. I usually add butter with a bit of oil when I fry my first batch, after that a hot nonstick pan is all you need. Do not bother with adding more unnecessary calories. They will be moist and fluffy and perfect! And delicious of course :)




BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla

Maple syrup, for serving

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda plus salt. In another bowl beat the eggs and add melted butter along with the buttermilk and vanilla. Pour to your dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated but make sure not to overmix. Heat some butter in a nonstick skillet and spoon about 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet and fry on both sides until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup, yogurt and fresh fruit.

Comments

Popular Posts