Breakfast Fun and Montreal




Breakfast..........It is probably my favourite meal of the day. If I could I would make something different for breakfast every day. Scones, pancakes, waffles, eggs- scrambled, poached, baked with tomatoes or cheese, sweet breads, french toast....the list is endless.
Usually , however, I have a piece of toast, granola with yogurt and fruit or cereal. Quick and not too messy. Weekends are a different story altogether. I like to spend more time in the kitchen, still sleepy but waking up with the aromas of brewing coffee and breakfast cooking on the stove or in the oven. Fresh and delicious to enjoy with my family. There is no arguing here who is going to get up first to make breakfast.
On my recent trip to Montreal, I ate at a small French cafe which inspired me to try something new to make and it is Croque Madam. Really, you can serve this dish at anytime of the day. Without an egg it is called Croque Monsieur and with the addition of the egg it becomes Croque Madam and makes for a delicious hearty breakfast.
The simplest version of the above is toasted bread with butter, ham and melted cheese. Egg is usually served with béchamel sauce which takes a little more time to prepare. I decided to simplify the recipe and used ingredients I had in my fridge.
Try and Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!



Croque Madam
Serves 3-4

6 slices of bread of your choice
Half a cup of sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated swiss cheese (or whatever you have)
Few slices of ham
6 eggs
Spread mayo mixed with sour cream on your bread. Place ham, sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in 375°F (180°C) until bread is crispy and cheese has melted.
Serve with poached or fried egg on top!!!!
ENJOY!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts