Cold Cucumber Chayote Soup


It is still hot these days and it seems that when I turn my stove on for just a couple of minutes the temperature in my apartment goes up by at least 10 Celsius degrees. Yesterday's temperature outside was supposed to be the highest ever recorded in Toronto, 39 feeling 49 with crazy high humidity. I visited Spain in the middle of the summer and it never felt as hot as it does here. I feel as if I was in the Tropics, the sweat appears even without you moving. I cannot even imagine my apartment right now without the air conditioning. Humid heat is probably the worst on us. It takes out all your energy and makes you want to stay in a cold tub all day long. Perfect days if you happen to have a cottage!

I do not have one, so I will cool myself with some cold soup. These are actually quite popular in Poland in the summer. I took one of the more popular ones- cucumber yogurt and added some Mexican ingredients and I am pretty happy with the result.

Here is how you make it:

1 tub of natural yogurt (500g)
1 large cucumber
1 Chayote
a quarter of a small red onion
bunch of cilantro
half a small jalapeno
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper
Splash of milk
4 hard boiled eggs

Grate the cucumber and chayote, season with salt and pepper.
In a food processor blend red onion with jalapeno, cilantro and 4 tablespoons yogurt until it resembles a sauce. Add to the cucumber and jicama with the rest of the yogurt, lime juice and milk. Season to taste and serve with sliced or chopped boiled eggs.

Comments

Popular Posts